RE: Include pieces of code in an HTML file

From: <75819671@it.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 10:48:53 +0200
To: JOrendorff@ixl.com
cc: www-html@w3.org

inclusion on server side is out of control of page developers unless they own
the server, since it depends on which web server product the server is based.
Not all servers support .shtml files. Similarly, IFRAME is not supported but a
lot of browsers, and you cannot rely on pages that are visible correctly only if
you have IE5 ;-) I know XHTML, but to provide what I was looking for, as you
correctly stated, I have to use an xml:link tag. I would have preferred to have
a dedicated tag. Of course I can alays create an XSL:Schema that defines
<include> tag as an xml:link tag, but I need a browser with full support of
XSL:Schema, which is quite new. DTD probably is not enough.

Dr. Dario de Judicibus - IBM Global Services
ICM EMEA South Region Deployment Support Leader
EMEA Knowledge Management Consulting Group
Tel: +39-06-596-62531 --- Fax: +39-06-596-65432

PHOTO GALLERY http://www.geocities.com/~dejudicibus/gallery/
WORK (e-mail) 75819671@it.ibm.com (pages) http://w3.smns.italy.ibm.com/
HOME (e-mail) ddj@mclink.it (pages) http://www.geocities.com/~dejudicibus/ (icq)

JOrendorff@ixl.com on 29/09/99 16:26:39

Please respond to JOrendorff@ixl.com

To:   Dario De Judicibus/Italy/IBM@IBMIT
Subject:  RE: Include pieces of code in an HTML file

Inclusion is commonly done by the web server, not
the browser.  Call your file "index.shtml"
instead of "index.html" and your server will handle
include tags like this one:

<!--#include file="fragment.html" -->

As for adding features to HTML:

HTML 4.01 is a very very minor revision of
a standard, HTML 4.0, that is only 2 years old.
No features are being considered at this point.
Likewise, XHTML 1.0 is essentially HTML4 in XML.  No
new features were added.  There will be time for that

What you're asking for is already provided by
HTML 4.0's <IFRAME> tag, in combination with CSS2.
IE5 implements IFRAMEs; Netscape 4.x does not.
(But Netscape 5.x will.)

And, inclusion of external
documents will eventually become a feature of many XML
processors in general, including XHTML browsers.  The
XML Linking Language will do this:

It will look something like this:

     actuate="auto" />

The attribute show="parsed" means "insert the target
document here."

actuate="auto" means the user doesn't have to click anything
to pursue the link; the browser should insert the document

-- jason