Future version of HTML!?

From: Keith Bowes <keith_bowes@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 1999 00:38:03 -0400
To: www-html@w3.org
Hi!

I would like some feedback and suggestions about my idea of
the next version of HTML (HTML 5, perhaps).

My idea is basically a leveling of the HTML dialects, based on
what people actually use (it worked for American English, so
why not HTML?).

Here are some elementary ideas:
1.  No DOCTYPE required.  However, if not specified, the
latest version is assumed.
2.  Add commonly used tags and attributes that have no
standard/CSS equivalents (among the primary candidates is
<BGSOUND>).
3.  Allow "made-up" attributes, creating a more powerful DOM
(this is already allowed in Internet Explorer).
4.  Stop downplaying HTML features just because they're
presentational.  Modern HTML should break the barriers of
prior versions and allow presentational features, especially
those of hypertext (eg, FRAMES, INLINE FRAMES, and BACKGROUND
SOUND) and those that can't be replaced by stylesheets and
newer constructs (especially FRAMES).

Feedback, suggestions, comments, etc. are appreciated.
Thanks.