Re: FW: I-D ACTION:draft-connolly-text-html-00.txt

At 20:02 28.09.99 -0400, Arjun Ray wrote:

>Thank you for this very important clarification.  I had jumped to the
>conclusion that obsoleting Standards Track documents implied the
>substitution of a new document aimed at standardization.  I now see this
>as the first move to "retire" HTML; it's a move I would agree with.
In this case, it should be read as the IETF declaring HTML "someone else's
business".
I think the W3C is perfectly capable of hosting the debate about whether it
should be "retired" or not.

(My personal opinion is that attempting to "retire" it any time soon would
serve no purpose except to lose credibility for the W3C. But that's
irrelevant to the discussion on getting the IETF out of the business of
hosting the definition.)

                   Harald A

--
Harald Tveit Alvestrand, Maxware, Norway
Harald.Alvestrand@maxware.no