RE: XHTML

Russell Steven Shawn O'Connor wrote:
> The one (and only one) thing that the XML Namespace
> Recommendation is good for is name disambiguation. AFs
> allow you to map a name into an architecture, which is
> a rather different process.

Strictly true, but additionally, the fact that two different
documents each have <foo> elements from the same namespace
is a strong hint that <foo> means the same thing in those
two documents.

For standards like XSL, where there's not a DTD that might
provide this hint, it's nice.

That isn't really explicit anywhere <abbr>AFAIK</abbr>.
It may become explicit.  An upcoming spec, like XML Schemas,
may hijack the xmlns URI for its own purposes.  That could
break a few things.  But the more I think about the idea,
the less I dislike it.

--
Jason