Re: XHTML

From: Russell Steven Shawn O'Connor <roconnor@uwaterloo.ca>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 18:28:53 -0500 (EST)
To: W3C HTML <www-html@w3.org>
On Tue, 23 Nov 1999, Frank Boumphrey wrote:

> Not really once you understand the architecture of modules. With SGML your
> browser needs a DTD to be able to interpret the document, or must have
> inbuilt knowledge of a DTD.

This is simply untrue.  A DTD is no longer neccessary in SGML.

> With XML a namespace with a style sheet allows any browser to show your XML
> module the way you want it, no SGMl working parties.

With SGML (and XML) alone you just need a style sheet, namespaces are not
needed.  Architectures allow you to map element to avoid name collisions
in the same (better and more flexible?) way that I beleive namespaces
do.

> I suspect Russel that you belong to the old SGML/DSSSL mafia who can't
> really believe that the old order has changed! <grin>

I do belong to such a group.  I'm just here to defend SGML every time
someone spreads FUD about how XML is better than SGML because SGML can't
do so and so.

       <http://www.undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca/~roconnor/>
``And truth irreversibly destroys the meaning of its own message''
-- Anindita Dutta, ``The Paradox of Truth, the Truth of Entropy''