Re: No specification for querystrings and fragment identifiers

From: Markku Savela <msa@anise.tte.vtt.fi>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 11:13:58 +0200 (EET)
To: MDenny@owners.com
CC: www-html@w3.org
> I was surprised that I could not find a specification within the HTML RFC's
> for what to do when you have a fragment identifier AND a querystring.  For
> example, which would be correct?:
>
> 1) mypage.asp?myvar=value#myfragment
> 2) mypage.asp#myfragment?myvar=value

Both are "correct", but

 1) fragment id = "myfragment"
 2) fragmemt id = "myfragment?myvar=value"

Fragment id LOCAL to browser. It is never sent to the server. Keeping
that in mind, (2) does not much make sense (if you wanted the id to be
"myfragment".

--
Markku Savela (msa@hemuli.tte.vtt.fi), Technical Research Centre of Finland
Multimedia Systems, P.O.Box 1203,FIN-02044 VTT,http://www.vtt.fi/tte/staff/msa/