Re: No specification for querystrings and fragment identifiers

From: Markku Savela <msa@anise.tte.vtt.fi>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 11:13:58 +0200 (EET)
To: MDenny@owners.com
CC: www-html@w3.org
> I was surprised that I could not find a specification within the HTML RFC's
> for what to do when you have a fragment identifier AND a querystring.  For
> example, which would be correct?:
> 1) mypage.asp?myvar=value#myfragment
> 2) mypage.asp#myfragment?myvar=value

Both are "correct", but

 1) fragment id = "myfragment"
 2) fragmemt id = "myfragment?myvar=value"

Fragment id LOCAL to browser. It is never sent to the server. Keeping
that in mind, (2) does not much make sense (if you wanted the id to be

Markku Savela (msa@hemuli.tte.vtt.fi), Technical Research Centre of Finland
Multimedia Systems, P.O.Box 1203,FIN-02044 VTT,http://www.vtt.fi/tte/staff/msa/