Re: XHTML

> Does this represent, in the _opinion_ of people in the working group, "the
> death of HTML?"

That depends on your definition of 'death'.

I prefer to think of it as an evolutionary process, just as Homo Sapiens
evolved from Homo Neandatalist (or some close relative), so XHTML has
evolved from HTML

> What I mean is, does the effort of the working group to create / promote
> XHTML represent an attempt to bring to an end a winding, twisting history
of
> the SGML-based HTML language, and start a brand new era? I

This is my reading of the plan.

Is SGML-based HTML
> too limited to continue to grow in a rate comparable with the growth of
> demand being placed upon it?

SGML based HTML responds too slowly to change, with XML based XHTML it will
be possible for interested parties to create their own subsets and add them
to XHTML.

See
http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/

http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Activity.html