XHTML <?XML?>? +browsers

From: Xavier Plantefeve <XavePlant@iName.Com>
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 1999 13:12:06 -0100
To: www-html@w3.org
Salut,

  I'm into the process of converting my pages from HTML4 trans to
xHTML str. (how fun!), I've got 2 questions:

1) As I'm not the greatest DTD reader in town, I'm not quite sure:
   xHTML is an XML application, isn't it? As such, Isn't it mandatory
   to put the <?XML?> header before the <!DOCTYPE>? The Validator
   doesn't care at all about it...

2) My pages look fine in my favourite browsers: IE5 & Lynx, it'll
   be easy for me to test them in IE or NS v3 or v4, or Opera, but
   I surely cannot test everything, have those oldest or less used
   browsers been reported as correctly handling this "<br />" thing?

Thanks for any help, I'm willing to learn.

Xave, from France, zat iz why.