Re: uppercase vs. lower case

-----Original Message-----
From: George Lund <george@lundboox.demon.co.uk>
To: www-html@w3.org <www-html@w3.org>
Date: Tuesday, March 02, 1999 7:46 AM
Subject: Re: uppercase vs. lower case

>Johannes Ewalt Koch <koch@physik.TU-Berlin.DE> wrote...
>>did you recognize that tags in the XML applications MathML [1] and SVG [2]
>>are lowercase?
>
>By and large, HTML has evolved so that it is backwards/forwards-
>compatible. So, with minor modifications and perhaps the removal of
>certain deprecated or obsolete elements, an HTML 2 document can conform
>to HTML 4.
>
>With 'XHTML' (so-called), huge numbers of valid HTML 4 documents are no
>longer valid,

Wrong. They are still valid HTML 4 documents.

> even though 'XHTML' is supposed to be the same as HTML 4.

What gave you that idea?

>IMO a big mistake was made when XML was formulated, but it is clear that
>it is now too late to change.

"A big mistake was made when XML was formulated" ... "A big mistake was made
when SGML was formulated" ... We could go on like that forever. But it's
moot. XML parsers are well on their way to reaching a level of ubiquity that
SGML can't shake a stick at.

> But for many, many years authors will
>continue to produce upper and mixed-case tagged documents,

Probably true. Those won't be XHTML documents, though.

 and the
>efforts the W3C has made to persuade more authors to create standards-
>compliant documents have been wasted.

I don't see how you come to that conclusion.

> Even those who previously tried
>hard will now feel that the industry just does not care enough.

Also baffling.

Braden