RE: Mailto

From: Ann Navarro <ann@webgeek.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 13:17:33 -0500
To: <braden@endoframe.com>, "Bill Rhodes" <wrhodes@qualcomm.com>, "Andreas Thorstensson" <andy@spray.se>, "'Francesca Galera Molina'" <ccbq8@blues.uab.es>, <www-html@w3.org>
At 01:13 PM 1/20/99 -0500, Braden N. McDaniel wrote:

>True. But "common browser/email client combinations" will probably handle
>these extensions just fine. It's the older, less-common software that might
>have difficulty.

They don't.

Anecdotal evidence: Just wrapped up teaching an Intro to HTML course for
the HTML Writers Guild. 112 students. Over 40% could not get their "mailto"
forms to work, even WITHOUT using non-standard syntax to include subjects
and what-not.

All were using NN 3.x and IE 3.x (or higher in both -- most using 4.x
generation), and current popular email software including Eudora, Outlook,
Outlook Express, and Communicator. If that's not "common browser/email
client combinations", I don't know what is.

Ann
---

Author of Effective Web Design: Master the Essentials
Buy it online! http://www.webgeek.com/about.html

Owner, WebGeek Communications          http://www.webgeek.com
Vice President-Finance, HTML Writers Guild http://www.hwg.org