Re: XHTML and CASE-SENSITIVITY

From: Susan Lesch <lesch@macvirus.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 20:05:40 -0700
To: www-html@w3.org
I prefer lowercase. Apparently one cannot paraphrase the typographer Eric
Gill too often: "Legibility is what you are accustomed to." I changed my
site from upper- to lowercase HTML early last year, a decision based in
part on faint hopes:

"...Case of HTML tags can effect compression. Compression is
    significantly worse (.35 rather than .27) if mixed case
    HTML tags are used. The best compression was found if all
    HTML tags were uniformly lower case, (since the compression
    dictionary can reuse what are common English words)...." [1]

[This NOTE is not endorsed by anyone.]
[1] http://www.w3.org/Protocols/HTTP/Performance/Pipeline.html

--
Susan Lesch <mailto:lesch@macvirus.com>