Re: HTML4 Implementation Requirements

From: B.K. DeLong <bkdelong@naw.org>
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 1999 13:49:10 -0500
To: "L. David Baron" <dbaron@fas.harvard.edu>, py8ieh=www-html@bath.ac.uk, www-html@w3.org
At 01:34 PM 2/5/99 -0500, L. David Baron wrote:
>I disagree that an HTML4 test suite should only test mandatory features.
>I think it should test suggested features, possibly noting that they are
>suggested.  It can thus be used to see what proportion of the HTML 4.0
>spec is supported.  (Or perhaps the mandatory features should be noted
>instead, since they may be rarer.)

I couldn't agree more. Features like LONGDESC, TABINDEX, and ACCESSKEY are
far from required but are very important to creating a "good" Web site. If
your site isn't accessible to a wide range of the Web using population, how
can it be a good site?

But we can't use these features unless the browsers implement them and
browser programming teams don't like implementing things without test cases.
B.K. DeLong                  360 Huntington Ave.
Director                         Suite 140CSC-305
New England Chapter     Boston, MA 02115
World Organization        (617) 247-3753
of Webmasters