Re: Navigation Tag, extend link

On Thu, 9 Dec 1999 Jukka.Korpela@hut.fi wrote:

>On 8 Dec 1999 rev-bob@gotc.com wrote:
>> > corporation > company > department > project > product
>If you ask me, I'd say: to allow user agents set up user interfaces which
>are suitable for the particular user environment and uniform across
>documents. The hierarchy issue is a bit tricky. But in the <link>
>approach, it could be handled by rel values like "up", "up2", "up3", etc.

Well, I think an important question is: "Do we really need all these
hierarchies?" After all, it is the web....

Considering the above example, for some, if they know the structure of the
corporation, the above would be sensible, but many customers would
probably rather see the structure
corporation > products > purpose
I personally think hierarchies often gets you in more trouble than it
solves.

>> HTML is at least supposed to be a *semantic* language
>
>Exactly. And the relationship between, say, a document and its successor
>in a logical sequence of documents or its "parent" in a logical hierarchy
>is semantic, or structural.

That, I agree.

>We aren't actually discussing _new_ tags right now but modifying the
>definition of <link> to make it (more) useful.

But, couldn't all this be achieved by RDF?

It seems to me that there should be a formal specification of the contents
of REL and REV attributes, just the basic stuff, next, previous etc. but
leave the rest to RDF, would be the way to go.

Best,

Kjetil
--
Kjetil Kjernsmo
Graduate astronomy-student                    Problems worthy of attack