Re: Suggestion: new feature for select

From: Jukka Korpela <jkorpela@cc.hut.fi>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 15:37:00 +0300 (EET DST)
To: www-html@w3.org
On Wed, 21 Oct 1998, Gregory Martin Pfeil wrote:

> > 	It seems that there is an obvious missing functionality
> > with the select tag, the ability for the user to type in
> > their own entry.  So instead of a pure select, you have
> > a combination of select and input, where the user can
> > choose a value, or type in their own.
> > 	After reading the HTML 4 spec, I don't think
> > this is currently possible.
>
> Nor should it be possible.  This sounds eerily like the "combo box", a
> widget with a lot of fundamental flaws.

To me, it sounds like a special case of an extension of the form
concept into the direction of dynamics. By "dynamics" I mean simply
that user's input in a field affects the presence (visibility)
of other fields. I don't regard this as widgetry. The problem with it
is that it implies a fundamentally more complex form model and
conditionality. This comes close to scripting languages, of course,
but I'd say it still fits into the idea of a hypertext markup
language.

"Extended forms" could probably be defined in a manner which
allows them to be written so that they degrade gracefully - i.e.,
on browsers not supporting the extensions, the form would act as
a normal old-fashioned form with _all_ its fields visible

> If you want to include this
> type of functionality, have an option on the select named "other" and
> a separate text box to hold the user's entry.  It's easy enough to
> have a CGI parse that.

Yes, that's the way things can be handled at present. It would be
more comfortable, and ultimately more _logical_, to be able to
specify a FORM element where the presence of fields depends on
user's input for other fields.

--
Yucca, http://www.hut.fi/u/jkorpela/ or http://yucca.hut.fi/yucca.html