Re: Suggestion: new feature for select

From: Gregory Martin Pfeil <pfeilgm@technomadic.org>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 15:40:38 -0400 (EDT)
To: Joshua Weage <gte855f@prism.gatech.edu>
cc: www-html@w3.org
> 	It seems that there is an obvious missing functionality
> with the select tag, the ability for the user to type in
> their own entry.  So instead of a pure select, you have
> a combination of select and input, where the user can
> choose a value, or type in their own.
> 	After reading the HTML 4 spec, I don't think
> this is currently possible.

Nor should it be possible.  This sounds eerily like the "combo box", a
widget with a lot of fundamental flaws.  If you want to include this
type of functionality, have an option on the select named "other" and
a separate text box to hold the user's entry.  It's easy enough to
have a CGI parse that.

--
Greg Pfeil --- Software Engineer --- (pfeilgm@|http://)technomadic.org
        =====Bad Command or File Name.  Good try, though.=====