Re: Suggestion: new feature for select

From: Walter Ian Kaye <walter@natural-innovations.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 09:59:04 -0700
To: www-html@w3.org
At 12:35p -0700 10/20/98, Joshua Weage wrote:
>	It seems that there is an obvious missing functionality
>with the select tag, the ability for the user to type in
>their own entry.  So instead of a pure select, you have
>a combination of select and input, where the user can
>choose a value, or type in their own.

That's the key -- you're describing a *combination* of items.
I think what you really want is a variant of select, where it
displays as a titleless arrow-button and executes commands rather
than changing state (in this case, the command would be to put
the chosen option value into the preceding/associated textbox).

>	After reading the HTML 4 spec, I don't think
>this is currently possible.

Yeah, I think you'd have to use Java to get such a control.

-Walter