Re: HTML 4.0 in Netscape and Explorer

From: Rob <wlkngowl@unix.asb.com>
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 05:33:05 -0500
To: Dataweaver <traveler@io.com>, sp249@cam.ac.uk, lehors@w3.org, wlkngowl@unix.asb.com, www-html@w3.org
Somebody wrote to the list:

> The general trend on the W3C's mailing lists is that HTML is now frozen,
> [..]

And someone else replied:

Then on  4 May 98, Jonathan "Dataweaver" Lang wrote:

> Well, you have HTML 4.0 Transitional, which makes use of the depreciated
> tags, and HTML 4.0 Strict, which doesn't.  So in a sense, the version
> where they are to be removed has already been released.

Yes and no. There are still disagreements about what should be
deprecated (some feel that B and I elements should be left as for legacy
purposes, for instance). And there are a few "minor" attributes to be
tweaked along with some of the finer points in the DTD (like why do
SCRIPT and NOSCRIPT have difference contexts?)..

Rob