Re: HTML Question

Brian Medendorp (medendob@lahs.losalamos.k12.nm.us)
Thu, 12 Mar 1998 11:31:29 -0700 (MST)

Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 11:31:29 -0700 (MST)
From: Brian Medendorp <medendob@lahs.losalamos.k12.nm.us>
To: "Cestone, Tom MR" <cestonet@hq.5sigcmd.army.mil>
cc: "'www-html@w3.org'" <www-html@w3.org>
Subject: Re: HTML Question

It is simply a "dynamic link" commonly used on unix servers. There is no
way to use the ~ other than form the web-server. For example: on my
system, the unix file path for my web directory is

/usr/people/medendob/public_html

but web address for this directory is:

http://lahs.losalamos.k12.nm.us/~medendob/

This is all done by the web server. It makes it easier for the common user
(and the administartors) so that every user does not have to have a
sub-directory in the web/html directory in addition to their home
directory.

                                         - [3rian  :)

"For I am Costanza, lord of the idiots."
	-George Costanza