HTML Question

Cestone, Tom MR (
Thu, 12 Mar 1998 09:29:06 -0500 (EST)

Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 09:29:06 -0500 (EST)
From: "Cestone, Tom MR" <>
To: "''" <>
Cc: "Cestone, Tom MR" <>
Subject: HTML Question

I tried to open your FAQ but it came back with "Server not available"

I'm new to HTML coding and have spent too much time already looking for
a description/explanation.  Could you please provide an answer and/or a
web page address
that will answer my question:

In a URL you can have a path that looks like these examples:

But you could also have URLs that look like this:

Need an explanation and the meanings of the coding options of the
"~" commonly called a "tilde" in the path of the second set of URLs
listed above.

I have heard the "~" is more "dynamic" than a regular path and that is
about it.  Could you explain it and tell me the pros and cons of the
subject ?  Can it be coded by the HTML author or is this something that
has to be done at the WEB Server administrator level ?  What HTML level
incorporated this feature ?  What resources explain more about it ?