Re: Questionable implementation of IMG ALT attribute as tooltips

Hakon Lie (howcome@w3.org)
Mon, 26 Jan 1998 16:12:13 +0100 (MET)

Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 16:12:13 +0100 (MET)
To: James Green <jmkgre@essex.ac.uk>
Cc: www-html@w3.org
From: Hakon Lie <howcome@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Questionable implementation of IMG ALT attribute as tooltips

James Green writes:

 > >  JG> Agreed. However, the existance of simple colour gradients in =
CSS may be=20
 > >  JG> nice.
 > >=20
 > > I've not actually tested this, but something like the following st=
yle
 > > should work:
 > >=20
 > > HR { width: 100%; height: 1ex;=20
 > >      background-image: url(gradient.gif);
 > >      border: none; /* Some browsers may defaultrender a HR as a bo=
rder */
 > > }
 > >=20
 > > Then, you can use different classes of HR with different gradients=
, or
 > > maybe different sizes ...
 >=20
 > This is not what I intended. When I think of an idea, I like to thin=
k=20
 > of a way whereby the machine can do as much of the work as possible.=
 In=20
 > asking for gradients, I was thinking somwhere along the line of:
 >=20
 > HR
 >    {
 >    width: 100%;
 >    left-color: blue;
 >    right-color: red;
 >    gradient-step: 4
 >    }

Color gradients were part of CSS at an early point [1]. They were
removed since implementors considered them expensive and designers
didn't shout enough.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-css1-960505.html#background

If you'd like to move forward with your proposal, please join
www-style@w3.org and mail it to the list.

Regards,

-h&kon

H   =E5   k   o   n      W   i   u   m       L   i   e
howcome@w3.org      http://www.w3.org/people/howcome
World     W      i     d     e       Web  Consortium