Re: Questionable implementation of IMG ALT attribute as tooltips

James Green (
Mon, 26 Jan 1998 14:41:43 +0000 (GMT)

From: James Green <>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 14:41:43 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: Re: Questionable implementation of IMG ALT attribute as tooltips

Originally on www-html now crossposted to www-css:

On Mon, 26 Jan 1998 12:50:06 +0100 Rasmus Kaj <> wrote:

>  >> I never use non-<HR> separators, simply because they don't behave well
>  >> for browsers on different screen sizes.
>  JG> Agreed. However, the existance of simple colour gradients in CSS may be
>  JG> nice.
> I've not actually tested this, but something like the following style
> should work:
> HR { width: 100%; height: 1ex;
>      background-image: url(gradient.gif);
>      border: none; /* Some browsers may defaultrender a HR as a border */
> }
> Then, you can use different classes of HR with different gradients, or
> maybe different sizes ...

This is not what I intended. When I think of an idea, I like to think
of a way whereby the machine can do as much of the work as possible. In
asking for gradients, I was thinking somwhere along the line of:

   width: 100%;
   left-color: blue;
   right-color: red;
   gradient-step: 4

This would give a horizontal rule of maximum page-width, default
height, specifying that the left-most area be blue, red for the
right-most area, merging to each other in four coloured steps.

Enhancing on this, top, bottom, even corners could be specified. All
that would be needed is a clever browser and colour support on the
client OS.

Comments on the above welcome.

James Green

Term e-mail:   |   Home e-mail: