Re: Suggestion: ALTHREF attribute

On Fri, 16 Jan 1998 18:32:06 -0500 Liam Quinn <liam@htmlhelp.com> wrote:

[ snip ]

> I don't see how it's better.  In fact, since my example used valid HTML
> 4.0 and since it's already implemented by some browsers, I'd say that the
> LINK method is better.  For multiple mirrors, you can just use multiple
> LINK elements.  You can also use the TITLE attribute to describe the
> mirror, e.g., "Russian Mirror".

I've just looked at this in the specs, and the LINK method is, IMHO,
indeed the way forward. However, the attributes need a little polishing.

How about:

<LINK REL="MIRROR" HREF="http://www.myplace.com">
<LINK REL="MIRROR" HREF="http://www.myplace.co.uk">
<LINK REL="MIRROR" HREF="http://www.myplace.com.au">
<LINK ... >

We use the existing REL attribute, but in a different way. It
shouldn't affect current browsing technology as they won't understand
it, and HREF remains.

I don't expect any probs from Liam, 'cause he first suggested it. Now
gets my vote.

Now all we have to do is sort out what to do when the server's down :-(

Regards,

James Green

Term e-mail: jmkgre@essex.ac.uk   |   Home e-mail: jg@cyberstorm.demon.co.uk
Homepage: http://www.cyberstorm.demon.co.uk