Re: Suggestion: ALTHREF attribute

On Fri, 16 Jan 1998 13:46:39 -0800 Alex Fabrikant
<afabrikant@smtpgtwy.ausd.k12.ca.us> wrote:

> <SNIP>
> If you think about this closely, it does sound as if a new META element
> is being thought of:
>
>    <META NAME="MIRROR" HREF="http://www.mymirror.com">
>
> If this was in a page originating in the .co.uk domain, which was slow,
> and being viewed in american .com domain, the browser could quite
> easily give an option to change. Further mirrors could be included:
>
>    <META NAME="MIRROR" HREF="http://www.mymirror.com"
> HREF2="http://www.mymirror.com.au" HREF3="http://www.mymirror.com.tw">
>
> You get the general idea.
>
> The only problem it does not solve is if the source document itself
> cannot be retrieved for some reason or another. That could be up to a
> supplementary HTTP server redirecting requests to an appropriate
> mirror, but that's for the hardware guys to work on, not me.
> </SNIP>
>
> I don't quite see why this should be handled by the HTTP server. An
> ALTHREF (or whatever you want to call it) should accept a
> comma(?)-delimetered list of URIs, with a single function - providing
> the client with an alternative address to load in CASE OF AN ERROR. A
> META or a LINK-based system can be implemented as well, allowing for
> definition of mirror sites, but this would not relate to the same
> problem

I'm not suggestion the ALTHREF - or MIRROR - tag shouldn't be included;
this is under the condition that the client can get the document _in
the first place_.

What I actually said was both a suggestion of a META element (it would
be in the upper-most section of the page so so have the highest chance
of being downloaded, afterall) and for a secondary mechanism in case
the HTTP server could deliver a single sausage of information; which of
course is reliant on the secondary workings *not* relying on the http
server!!!

Regards,

James Green

Term e-mail: jmkgre@essex.ac.uk   |   Home e-mail: jg@cyberstorm.demon.co.uk