Re: Odd case sensitive rules regarding <A name="abc">

Markku Savela (
Wed, 18 Feb 1998 12:14:20 +0200 (EET)

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 12:14:20 +0200 (EET)
From: Markku Savela <>
Subject: Re: Odd case sensitive rules regarding <A name="abc">

> From: Ian Hickson <>
> Can someone explan the logic in this?

I cannot explain the logic..., just going to express my opinion here

>	 * Uniqueness: Anchor names must be unique within a document.
>	 Anchor names that differ only in case may not appear in the
>	 same document

The latter statement about the case should be deleted. Let the anchor
name be a string of octets and compared as is. Furher down there is

> Anchor names should be restricted to ASCII characters. Please
> consult the appendix for more information about non-ASCII characters
> in URI attribute values.

This is a direct result of the "case insensivity" statement. If you
remove that, you don't need to limit anchor names to ASCII either.

Markku Savela (, Technical Research Centre of Finland
Multimedia Systems, P.O.Box 1203,FIN-02044 VTT,