Re: Type Attibute for LI element.

Jukka Korpela (jkorpela@cc.hut.fi)
Thu, 5 Feb 1998 09:15:22 +0200 (EET)

Date: Thu, 5 Feb 1998 09:15:22 +0200 (EET)
From: Jukka Korpela <jkorpela@cc.hut.fi>
To: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: Type Attibute for LI element.

On Tue, 3 Feb 1998, Russell Steven Shawn O'Connor wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Feb 1998, Jukka Korpela wrote:
> > See http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html32.html#ul
> > and http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/lists.html#type-values
> > (to which the description of the TYPE attribute for LI refers, too).
>
> I still don't see it in the specs, but maybe I'm just blind.  The specs
> refert to the type parameter in UL and OL, but doesn't seem to talk about
> the LI elements that it contain.

For example, the part of the HTML 3.2 spec I referred to says:
'The TYPE attribute can be used to set the bullet style on UL and LI
elements. The permitted values are "disc", "square" or "circle".'

> Perhaps we have different definitions for validator, but I don't think
> that every documents that validates as as SGML document against the DTD is
> a legal HTML document.  It is possible to validate against the DTD and
> stil be an ilegal HTML documents.  That's why I am working on this
> porgram.  To catch most (all) other errors that can be in an HTML
> document.

It is certainly important to have programs which catch other errors than
violations of the DTD - for instance, a syntax error in a URL can be
more harmful than using, say, an IMG element within a PRE element
(which BTW is something the W3C validator uses in its reports - Quis
custodiet custodes? :-).

In fact the HTML 4.0 spec says this, too; see
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/sgml/intro.html#h-19.1
(It does not explicitly define "validator" or "validation" but I'd
say it clearly uses the word "validation" to refer to checking against
a DTD. Perhaps a new word should be adopted for the purpose, since
the normal meaning of "valid" suggests more than conformance to a DTD.
But using the word "validation" in other meaning than the one mentioned
in the HTML 4.0 would just add to the confusion.)

Yucca, http://www.hut.fi/u/jkorpela/