Re: extra.* Entities

On Fri, 11 Dec 1998, Andrew n marshall wrote:

> I've been going through the new HTML-in-XML working draft. Now I
> have a question:
>
> Can someone explain to me the need or purpose of the extra.inline
> and extra.block entities?  I read the note ate the top of
> http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-html-in-xml/dtd.html, but I guess I don't
> know when/why you would add new entities. Is it for later versions
> of HTML (post v5)? Or is it something used so that tags from other
> DTDs can be laid out correctly in an HTML flow? Can someone
> provide an example?

The entities are there to make it easy to glue the DTD pieces
together to function as a fully formed document type definition.
Regrettably DTD's are far from ideal for this, and I am looking
forward eagerly to see whether W3C's work on XML schema languages
will provide a better match to the needs for modularity.

Regards,

tel/fax: +44 122 578 2984 (or 2521) +44 385 320 444 (gsm mobile)