Re: OBJECT, inheritance, and rendering

From: Todd Fahrner <fahrner@pobox.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1998 16:46:45 -0700
To: roconnor@uwaterloo.ca
Cc: HTML <www-html@w3.org>
Russell Steven Shawn O'Connor wrote (2:23 PM -0400 8/5/98):
 " On Tue, 4 Aug 1998, James Aylett wrote:
 " > Hmm. This suggests to me that something beyond OBJECT is perhaps required
 " > to give the effect of dependence on the OBJECT's parent styles (and the
 " > OBJECT's styles themselves).
 " I've had this discussion on this Mailing List before.  I agree with this
 " statement, such constructs already exist in SGML, HTML and browsers need
 " only take advantage of them.
 " See:
 " <URL:http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html/1998Mar/0102.html>
 " <URL:http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html/1998Mar/0103.html>
 " <URL:http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html/1998Mar/0105.html>

You, sir, have bested us all.

I wasn't subscribed at the time. If only there were a dedicated search
engine for the w3.org mailing lists....

So, if I'm reading the XML 1.0 spec correctly, it's safe to hope that a UA
shipping with a validating XML 1.0 processor, and XML+CSS rendering
capabilities, will resolve this issue? Any guesses which UA will accomplish
this first? (for the Mac of course). Or is gambling not permitted here?
Todd Fahrner                   The printed page transcends space and time.
mailto:fahrner@pobox.com       The printed page, the infinitude of books,
http://www.verso.com/agitprop/ must be transcended. THE ELECTRO-LIBRARY.
                                                   - El Lissitzky, 1923