Re: OBJECT, inheritance, and rendering

From: Todd Fahrner <fahrner@pobox.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1998 16:46:45 -0700
To: roconnor@uwaterloo.ca
Cc: HTML <www-html@w3.org>
Russell Steven Shawn O'Connor wrote (2:23 PM -0400 8/5/98):
 " On Tue, 4 Aug 1998, James Aylett wrote:
 "
 " > Hmm. This suggests to me that something beyond OBJECT is perhaps required
 " > to give the effect of dependence on the OBJECT's parent styles (and the
 " > OBJECT's styles themselves).
 "
 " I've had this discussion on this Mailing List before.  I agree with this
 " statement, such constructs already exist in SGML, HTML and browsers need
 " only take advantage of them.
 "
 " See:
 " <URL:http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html/1998Mar/0102.html>
 " <URL:http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html/1998Mar/0103.html>
 " <URL:http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html/1998Mar/0105.html>

You, sir, have bested us all.

I wasn't subscribed at the time. If only there were a dedicated search
engine for the w3.org mailing lists....

So, if I'm reading the XML 1.0 spec correctly, it's safe to hope that a UA
shipping with a validating XML 1.0 processor, and XML+CSS rendering
capabilities, will resolve this issue? Any guesses which UA will accomplish
this first? (for the Mac of course). Or is gambling not permitted here?
--
Todd Fahrner                   The printed page transcends space and time.
mailto:fahrner@pobox.com       The printed page, the infinitude of books,