Re: Dates & Times (was Re: Future of HTML)

On Sat, 11 Apr 1998, Carl Beeth wrote:

> ...Our annual party will be on<SPAN DATA="schedule" DATE="05-06-97"
> DESCRIPTION="Acme inc's annual party">the 5th of june</SPAN>"...
>
> There would probably need to be a lot other attributes just for Schedules like:
> TIME="19:30"
> GMT="+1" (time zone)
> DURATION="2:20" (could be days)
> FREQUENCY="Daily" (could also be "once"[default] "weekly" "monthly"
> "yearly" ...)
> URL="http://www.acme.com/party/"
>
> Of course, similar things could be imagined for a postal addresses and
> probably many other data types

I think we're working the wrong way. What you're talking about is a couple
of new URI schemes :-)

If someone came up with a new URI scheme for, say "events", we just need an
anchor element with a link to the specified URI. What you're doing is
LINKING a part of your document to something else. The point of URIs (I
think...) is to be able to link to EVERYTHING. Not just Web pages: people,
postal addresses, geographical locations, cars, airplanes, ships, books
(think ISBN, Dewey or LoC), telephone lines, radio frequencies, whatever. In
a future computer system (think SciFi here), the URI resolver would be a
part of the OS... given a URI, it would select an apporopriate protocol,
fetch the resource, determine its mime type and launch the appropriate
handler application. It's not rocket science, it's just that there are so
many different implementations already there, and they don't work with each
other.

What you're doing above is reinventing the wheel :-)

-- Stephanos Piperoglou -- sp249@cam.ac.uk -------------------
All I want is a little love and a lot of money. In that order.
------------------------- http://www.thor.cam.ac.uk/~sp249/ --