Re: Goals of HTML (and XML)? (was Re: Foreign Words and Phrases..) (fwd)

On Fri, 26 Sep 1997, Jukka Korpela wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Sep 1997, MegaZone wrote:

> > I don't see why <SPAN> with a LANG attribute DIFFERENT from the document
> > default LANG is not enough to implicitly imply this.
>
> (Nit-picking: how would you handle English text within some German text
> in a document with English as default language.)

> ?

Well, for examlpe (sic!):

the plural of <span lang="en" class="example">ox</span>
is <span lang="en" class="example">oxen</span>

Or you could use <EM>, because the examples are "something special".

> The lang attribute should _only_ define the language used in a part
> of a document. It should not imply things like quotation or reference to
> words or phrases as linguistic objects.

Yes, exactly. But while this is so in general, for a specific document
or class of documents, it may well be enough to just have language,
especially if these are edited by hand.

Regards,	Martin.