Re: HTML Streaming

On Fri, 5 Sep 1997, Dan Sugalski wrote:

>I think the assumption that this is going to be done exclusively by HTML
>editors is something that's going to have to get jettisoned. If you work on
>that assumption then you might as well pack it in now, since you'll never
>get a significant enough user-base to get any of the significant browser
>makers to bother with it.

I've been thinking about that part for a couple days - why does this
idea have anything at all to do with HTML?  It seems to me that the most
successful approach to this type of thing would be to have the -server-
generate a description on the fly, but only when the request is made by
a UA which can benefit from it.

As part of the HTTP request a browser could announce its current
settings, and then there would be no guessing or errors.  This also has
the advantages of working equally well on any document and requiring no
effort or special tools for authors.

Albert, while I've enjoyed the discussiion so far and I intend to
participate in any other discussions that may arise on this topic, I
suggest you take the time to develop your idea a little further before
attempting to defend it as it stands.  It would be most helpful if you
could prepare a document where you describe what you're trying to
acheive and how you think it will work - in detail - and perhaps return
here to provide a URL where we could examine that proposal in full.  As
it is now we're going around in circles without even really knowing
where we're trying to go.  Before we beat this to death, it would be
nice to have something a little more concrete to point at.