Re: HTML Streaming

At 07:18 PM 9/4/97 -0400, Albertfine@aol.com wrote:
>I am working on an error free way of describing text. As I
>said in an earlier post; it considers the space given to individual letters.
>Why do I feel like I am repeating myself?

If you're going to maintain any sort of backward compatibility with current
HTML, I think you'll find that any error-free description of the data on a
page won't be much, if any, smaller than the actual data itself. Also,
since you're going to need to use font metrics to accurately make those
descriptions, you're going to end up with an inaccurate description for a
significant segment of the clients viewing your page.

If you're throwing backwards compatibility out the window (so that current
browsers won't be able to reasonably view the page), you're probably better
off tossing the whole thing and instead trying for a new MIME type of
binary/gzip-html and just GZip the web pages. I can pretty much guarantee
that a gzipped HTML document will be smaller than any accurate page
description you can come up with.

					Dan

Dan Sugalski   (541) 917-4364           even samurai
Programmer/SysAdmin                     have teddy bears
Linn-Benton Community College           and even the teddy bears
sugalsd@lbcc.cc.or.us                   get drunk