Re: Euro - re-statement

Harald.T.Alvestrand@uninett.no
Thu, 16 Oct 1997 12:53:24 +0200

From: Harald.T.Alvestrand@uninett.no
To: Carrasco Benitez Manuel <manuel.carrasco@emea.eudra.org>
cc: "'www-international@w3.org'" <www-international@w3.org>,
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 12:53:24 +0200
Subject: Re: Euro - re-statement

europa.eu.int is too busy to answer right now; I suspect it's running
on a Microsoft platform.

However, the Commission has been wrong before, and I think it is wrong
this time too.
(Its support for OSI is not really relevant here...)

I forgot to say so in my previous messgae: Your second proposal
(defining new character sets) is MUCH more reasonable than the first
one.

I wish, however, that you had targeted the currency symbol rather than
the vertical bar for replacement; the idea that a currency symbol without
specifying which currency it refers to had any value whatsoever is
even less realistic than the idea of modifying ASCII to fit the Euro.

I wish you luck in what I consider to be a hopeless task :-)

                  Harald A