RE: List of changes in Nov.7 draft from Sept. 17 version

On Fri, 14 Nov 1997, Scott Isaacs wrote:

> You can use CSS to change the default appearance of INS and DEL.
> For example:
> DEL {display: none}
> will hide all the DELeted text.

Yes, obviously, just as one can do the same to P or BODY, for example.
It might be somewhat more natural to do it to DEL, of course. My point
is that "display: none" is very dangerous and contrary to the fundamental
idea of style sheets which is to suggest rendering features. Someone
might stretch that idea so that it covers this (completely ignoring
parts of a document in presentation) too, but it's very far from such
normal presentation suggestions as font face and size, margin widths,
and colors.

More importantly, what one could do with CSS does not even address the
problem that the use of INS and DEL to indicate changes does not
downgrade gracefully on browsers who do not support these elements.
An element for indicating changes, along the lines I outlined,
could be defined so that this problem does not occur.

Yucca