Re: Subject line in Mailto forms

Jordan Reiter (jreiter@mail.slc.edu)
Fri, 20 Jun 1997 11:10:34 -0400

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 11:10:34 -0400
To: "Joel N. Weber II" <devnull@gnu.ai.mit.edu>,
From: Jordan Reiter <jreiter@mail.slc.edu>
Subject: Re: Subject line in Mailto forms
Cc: www-html@w3.org

At 1:30 AM -0400 6/16/97, Joel N. Weber II wrote:
>I think that I would avoid writing any subject at all.  I tend to
>prefer avoiding features which don't degrade gracefully.
>
>I also tend to ignore subjects so much that I don't really care what
>they say...
That's what I feel to be the real issue here.  Do we need it at all?  It
should just be kept, in my opinion, as another optional yet trivial feature
of Netscape, the same way the dreadful <MARQUEE> tag was on IE.  If a
company or organization wants to assign an exclusive *subject* of sorts,
another more elegant solution is simply to get another e-mail address,
where the address itself implies the subject.  Hence, instead of:
	<A HREF="mailto:info@company.com?Subject=prices">
you would simply use:
	<A HREF="mailto:prices@company.com">