New <AREA> syntax proposal (fwd)

MegaZone (megazone@livingston.com)
Mon, 9 Jun 1997 17:41:41 -0700 (PDT)

Subject: New <AREA> syntax proposal (fwd)
To: www-html@w3.org
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 17:41:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: MegaZone <megazone@livingston.com>

Once upon a time Dan Miser shaped the electrons to say...
><AREA [[SHAPE="shape"] COORDS="x,y,..." | COLOR="color"]
>[HREF="reference"] [NOHREF]>
>
>Basically, if a user clicks on a certain color, they could be
>transported to a URL via the HREF element. This would be especially
>useful for polygons that have only one color. For example, a thematic

Except the UA doesn't normally get involved in the colors used in the image.
And such colors aren't declared like simple RGB values under HTML.

I see this as having a VERY limited usage, and being a major pain to
implement.  So much so I doubt the major vendors would bother.

I've seen maps of the US done with standard image maps - with mapping
programs that are out, doing complex shapes isn't hard.  I think it would be
more effective to focus efforts on making mapping programs even more flexible.
Perhaps giving THEM a color and having it able to do edge detection and
generate a map.

That would mean no changes needed in the UA.

-MZ
Phone: 800-458-9966 510-737-2100 FAX: 510-737-2110 megazone@livingston.com
Snail mail: 4464 Willow Road, Pleasanton, CA 94588