Re: BUTTON element

On Fri, 18 Jul 1997, Shelley Powers wrote:

> If the HTML working group is working towards a more stable release, then
> every new element entered into every new release should be questioned and
> re-questioned as to the advisability of inclusion. Those who submit the
> extension should prove there is no other approach to take to accomplish the
> same effect. You will never have a stable release if you keep adding in
> elements that are "handy".

I agree. Look at all those overloaded attributes (especially tables, and
they should be deprecated because there is stylesheets). HTML 4.0 is moving
to separation of content vs. presentation, yet some attributes like
ACCESSKEY contradict this principle. It shows that there is too little
thought in the ongoing inclusion of elements and attributes.

[...]
> In other words, does BUTTON add something new that can only be handled
> within HTML, and not within DOM or CSS1 or event ECMAScript. You tell me.

I suggested this in another message: possibly extending DIV to include
interactivity (buzzword: dynamic HTML). Having to use FORMs and attributes
to do simple things isn't intuitive (for an example, look at JavaScript-
based calculators)

--
Steve Cheng
elmert@ipoline.com