Re: Meta Refresh syntax

E. Stephen Mack (
Tue, 15 Jul 1997 02:55:40 -0700

Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 02:55:40 -0700
From: "E. Stephen Mack" <>
Subject: Re: Meta Refresh syntax

Walter Ian Kaye wrote:
>What does "ppl" mean? Oh, that's a one not an ell. Darn Courier
face... :-)

Sorry!  I agree, that drives me nuts.  But you can always use
a different proportional font.  I'm still trying to find a
good way of saying "platform preview one."

> >       content="3; URL=">
>Actually, that space^ should not be there. (egad, more space talk!;)

Really?  It works fine in my test pages (for IE 3 and 4 as well
as Nav 3 and 4), and this is the syntax listed at
and -- is
there an "official" Netscape or IE page extenion page that
prohibits the space that you know of?  (I know that specific
extension documentation is sorely lacking.)

>My guess is that it's probably a typo, since header parameters in
>are delimited by semicolons.

I'm not too sure.  They also took out the "URL=" part, and changed

This was also the same way that the old WD-link draft had specified
meta refresh (and that draft was around long enough for typos
to be caught).

Giving how horrible the "URL=" part of existing meta refresh is,
they are probably changing the syntax intentionally.

There are other header parameters that have comma-delimited lists
in the CONTENT attribute's value (e.g., keywords), so there's a
precedent for the comma instead of the semi-colon.

E. Stephen Mack <>