Re: Meta Refresh syntax

Walter Ian Kaye (
Tue, 15 Jul 1997 14:54:47 -0700

Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 14:54:47 -0700
From: Walter Ian Kaye <>
Subject: Re: Meta Refresh syntax

At 2:55a -0700 07/15/97, E. Stephen Mack wrote:
 > Walter Ian Kaye wrote:
 > > >       content="3; URL=">
 > >Actually, that space^ should not be there. (egad, more space talk!;)
 > Really?  It works fine in my test pages (for IE 3 and 4 as well
 > as Nav 3 and 4), and this is the syntax listed at
 > and -- is
 > there an "official" Netscape or IE page extenion page that
 > prohibits the space that you know of?

Hmm, sorry, looks like I must've confused that with something else.

I do remember seeing *something* where there was not supposed to be
a space after the semicolon, so either Netscape changed it during
the past year or two, or it was an email header parameter...??

 > >My guess is that it's probably a typo, since header parameters in
 > >general are delimited by semicolons.
 > I'm not too sure.  They also took out the "URL=" part, and changed

If it was deliberately changed to NAME, then it is probably meant to
exist side by side with the HTTP-EQUIV method, at least until browsers
are updated to recognize and act upon the new syntax.
But again, I'm just guessing...