Re: Some complaints about HTML 4.0

Dataweaver (
Sun, 13 Jul 1997 04:52:38 +0007

From: "Dataweaver" <>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1997 04:52:38 +0007
Subject: Re: Some complaints about HTML 4.0

On 12 Jul 97 at 22:57, wrote:

> Liam Quinn wrote:
> >> Empty P elements are similar to multiple BR elements in a lot of
> >> ways...
> David Perrell wrote:
> > Define lot. In a typical rendering, BR forces a line space, P has
> > vertical margins. [...many other differences deleted...]
> Liam wasn't arguing that P's were like BR's -- he argued that
> *empty* P elements are similar to *multiple* BR elements.  I
> was going to disagree with him at first, but now I think he's
> sort of right--on a structural level, the semantic content of an
> empty P is equivalent to the semantic content of two or more BRs.
> <P></P> says "There is a paragraph here that contains nothing."
> <BR><BR> says "There are multiple line breaks here."

While a <P>...</P> element defines a paragraph, it doesn't neccessarily define
it by "seperated from surrounding text by blank lines"; I've seen one browser
(I forget which one)  Which renders a paragraph in a more textually-traditional
manner of indenting the first line, and having no top or bottom margins to
speak of.  The margins used for a <P>...</P> block are definitely presentation
in nature, and as such can _easily_ vary.

---- Jonathan Lang <> ---- x ------- alias: Dataweaver ---------
  Webpage:   /@\ The Dogma of Otherness insists
 Benevolent Tyrant for Life of GURPSnet  ~~~ that all voices deserve a hearing,
FAQ:  |  that all points of view have
Archive:  |  something of value to offer.
submit new files to |  --David Brin, "Otherness"