Re: CAPTION element for OBJECT?

Benjamin Franz (snowhare@netimages.com)
Thu, 10 Jul 1997 14:36:53 -0700 (PDT)

Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 14:36:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: Benjamin Franz <snowhare@netimages.com>
To: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: CAPTION element for OBJECT?

On Thu, 10 Jul 1997, E. Stephen Mack wrote:

> Speaking for Windows 95 implementations: Navigator 3.01 and 4.01 do
> not understand OBJECT, but correctly display the OBJECT's contents
> as an alternate.

Not quite right. NS 3.01 does not understand OBJECT at all, but NS 4.01
understands it as equivalent to EMBED - you can ONLY use it for things
that you have a plugin for, otherwise you get the alternative content.  It
does not always correctly cascade nested objects - it will play a WAV file
*simultaneously* with a wrapped MIDI file rather than only playing the
outermost OBJECT it understands. I haven't tested what it does with Java
yet. Both MSIE 3 and 4 are so badly broken on OBJECT that I don't dare use
OBJECT on public documents at all. They appear to have made OBJECT *ONLY*
a container for ActiveX and completely neglected the principle of 'ignore
what you don't understand'. It is *WORSE* than if they hadn't implemented
OBJECT at all - I even got an out and out crash under MSIE3. They should
either *fix it* or *pull it completely*. :(

--
Benjamin Franz