Re: HTML 4.0 draft available

Russell Steven Shawn O'Connor (roconnor@wronski.math.uwaterloo.ca)
Thu, 10 Jul 1997 11:15:29 -0400 (EDT)

Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 11:15:29 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Russell Steven Shawn O'Connor" <roconnor@wronski.math.uwaterloo.ca>
To: Scott Matthewman <scottm@danielson.co.uk>
cc: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: HTML 4.0 draft available

On Thu, 10 Jul 1997, Scott Matthewman wrote:

> > To support <FILENAME> new browsers will have to be made.  To support CSS,
> > nw browers have to be made.  It would be pointless to create a <FILENAME>
> > element because if browers supported this, then they would also support
> > <SPAN CLASS=Filename>, which is a better solution.
>
> To support HTML 4.0 new browsers will have to be made.
> Let's all go home now ;-)
>
> A FILENAME element fits the model in that it's contextual; I guess it has
> extra subtleties compared to, say, SAMP. Sounds OK to me...

If we support FILENAME, then what?  There are millions of possible
contextual mark up.  As I understand this is the whole reason why GML was
abandoned for SGML.  The solution to this problem is to use XML.  But HTML
4.0 isn't XML.  I could live with FILENAME added, but why that one and not
others? We have to draw the line somewhere.  Since we have a general CSS
solution, I think the fewer the better.

--
Russell O'Connor            |              roconnor@uwaterloo.ca
        <http://www.undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca/%7Eroconnor/>