Re: CAPTION element for OBJECT?

Liam Quinn (
Thu, 10 Jul 1997 08:50:15 -0400

Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 08:50:15 -0400
From: Liam Quinn <>
Subject: Re: CAPTION element for OBJECT?

At 01:48 AM 10/07/97 -0700, E. Stephen Mack wrote:
>On Wed, 9 Jul 1997, Liam Quinn wrote:
>>> Is there any reason why HTML 3.0's CAPTION element for use with FIG
>>> hasn't been re-introduced with the OBJECT element in HTML 4.0?
>One sticky consideration is how the OBJECT's CAPTION
>should count towards a HEIGHT or WIDTH attribute for that OBJECT.

I think the spec would have to be explicit in that HEIGHT and WIDTH would
only apply to the replaced element (the embedded media).  It doesn't make
much sense to put HEIGHT and WIDTH constraints on what would often be
plain text.  The CAPTION would be defined within the OBJECT, but would not
actually be part of the space allocated for the OBJECT when displayed.

>However, including CAPTION as a valid content element for OBJECT is
>somewhat problematic.  HTML 4.0's OBJECT definition requires OBJECT-aware
>browsers to not display any of the contents of the OBJECT element (to
>alternate renderings for non-OBJECT-compliant browsers).

I know, which is why I think we should do this now before too many
browsers start implementing OBJECT.  (From what I understand, the Big
Two's current OBJECT implementations are badly butchered already.)

Version: PGP for Personal Privacy 5.0
Charset: noconv

Liam Quinn
======  PGP Key at  =====