Re: HTML 4.0 draft available

Walter Ian Kaye (walter@natural-innovations.com)
Wed, 9 Jul 1997 21:53:31 -0700

Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 21:53:31 -0700
To: www-html@w3.org
From: Walter Ian Kaye <walter@natural-innovations.com>
Subject: Re: HTML 4.0 draft available

At 9:29a -0400 07/09/97, Steven Champeon wrote:

 > Why would anyone in their right mind *want* to type <STRONG> when
 > they can type <B>? I'm restricting my question to the obvious fact
 > of one being shorter than the other.

Well, you could also copy/paste, or drag&drop, or use a macro, etc.
It does clutter up the text, though, and for this reason I prefer
<B> and <I> -- readability.

 > the effect that... their longer terms has
 > on the sheer size of the files produced.

Yes, this is also an issue. I am not keen on wasting bandwidth on
*anything*, whether graphics *or* text.
To quote myself: "Technology does not obsolete frugality."