Re: Frames - Problems

Scott Matthewman (scottm@danielson.co.uk)
Wed, 2 Jul 1997 17:12:32 +0100


From: scottm@danielson.co.uk (Scott Matthewman)
To: "Andre-John Mas" <amas@lhr-sys.DHL.COM>, <www-html@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Frames - Problems
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 1997 17:12:32 +0100
Message-ID: <19970703072036779.AAA270@scott.danielson.co.uk>

----------
> From: Andre-John Mas <amas@lhr-sys.DHL.COM>
> To: www-html@w3.org; scottm@danielson.co.uk
> Subject: Frames - Problems
> Date: 2 July 1997 15:59
> 
> Erm, I have just tried out a page using frames under Netscape 3.1
> and found that instead of opening the link in the same window, it
> actually creates a new windows (I set the TARGET to _PARENT), as
> opposed to openning the link in the same windows. My code is as
> follows:
> 
> <HTML>
> <HEAD>
>   <TITLE>Test Document</TITLE>
> </HEAD>
> 
> <frameset cols="10%, 20%, 70%" border=0>
>    <frame src="blank.htm" scrolling="no" border=0>
>    <frame src="menu.htm" scrolling="no" border=0>
>    <frame src="main.htm" scrolling="no" border=0>
> </frameset>
> 
> <BODY>
> Sorry, this page is a frames experiment
> </BODY>
> </HTML>
> 
> Thanks for any insight.
> 
> Andre

1. Give your <frame...> tags NAME="" attributes. It doesn't necessarily
matter what they are, but you will need them if you want to update them as
a result of clicking on any links.
2. Don't use the <BODY> tagset in that way. You need to put it into the
frameset embedded into a <NOFRAMES> tagset.
3. Make sure the <BASE TARGET=...> tag is in the <HEAD> tagset of each
child document.

Your HTML frameset page shoud read:

<html>
<head>
  <title>Test Document</title>
</head>

<frameset cols="10%, 20%, 70%" border=0>
   <frame src="blank.htm" name="frame1" scrolling="no" border=0>
   <frame src="menu.htm" name="menuframe" scrolling="no" border=0>
   <frame src="main.htm" name="mainwindow" scrolling="no" border=0>
   <noframes>
   <body>Sorry, this page is a frames experiment</body>
   </noframes>
</frameset>
</html>

If that doesn't work, try setting the target to "_parent" instead of
"_PARENT". Technically, it shouldn't make any difference - practically is,
as always, another matter!