Re: Re[2]: Auto-Generated HTML and Authoring Tools

Joe English (joe@trystero.art.com)
Thu, 30 Jan 1997 11:59:03 PST

To: www-html@www10.w3.org
Subject: Re: Re[2]: Auto-Generated HTML and Authoring Tools
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1997 11:59:03 PST
From: Joe English <joe@trystero.art.com>

Terje@in-Progress.com (Terje Norderhaug) wrote:

> At 8:44 PM 1/29/97, Mark Gaither wrote:

> HtmlScript is very far from from aherance to SGML philosphy, in contrast to
> what is stated in their press releases. "Command" tags such as <HIDE> <IF>
> and for assignments <LET> should be clear examples of how it conflict with
> the philosphy of descriptive markup of SGML. This and the many other tools
> based on command tags are a step backwards, whether they can be described
> with a DTD or not.

Not necessarily... SGML can be used to represent
command scripts just as well as it can structured
data (well, almost as well; personally I think it
makes for a rather awkward syntax but there's nothing
inherently wrong with it from a philosophical point
of view.)

See for example the MID project [1], which does something
similar (MID is the Metafile for Interactive Documents,
a document type used for building IETMs (interactive
electronic technical manuals)).

[1] MID: <URL: http://navycals.dt.navy.mil/mid/mid.html >

--Joe English

  joe@art.com