Re: New tags. Reply to Galactus.

Arnoud (
Fri, 17 Jan 1997 20:55:09 +0100

From: (Arnoud "Galactus" Engelfriet)
Subject: Re: New tags. Reply to Galactus.
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 1997 20:55:09 +0100

In article <>,
OpeDog <> wrote:
> Listen, I'm sorry I insulted so many people by saying that <indent> was a
> good idea.

It wasn't insulting; there just are better tools for that job.
This may sound arrogant, but if you're reading this newsgroup then
you should know that.

> What if an HTML designer (in the loosest since) doesn't know
> about style sheet (like me) and doesn't know how to indent.

He probably wouldn't be on this mailing list. I would recommend
that you visit for an
introduction to stylesheets.

> [about <vr>, I suppose]
> at that, so I'll state again, what would it hurt?

It doesn't work like you want to, and introduces unwanted side-

> About the <date format="whatever">.  You don't see this as a good idea? None

No. If it is done in HTML, the only thing it can do is insert the
*client*'s local date/time. What point would this serve? I already
know what time it is over here. Knowing how late it is on a server
can be useful in certain circumstances (like, "Our FTP archive is
only open after 9pm local time. It is now 9:45pm local time") but
that cannot be determined in HTML.

- --
E-mail: .................... PGP Key: 512/63B0E665
Maintainer of WDG's HTML reference: <>