Re: html, webtv, etc. (fwd)

On Wed, 12 Feb 1997, Subir Grewal wrote:

> Well this message landed in my box earlier today.  It wasn't sent by the
> author David Heller <dheller@tisny.com>, whom I don't know.  I thought
> it might interest some of the people on this list because we've been
> discussing similar issues here.  My take on the whole issue is very
> different from the author's since I think the true promise of the web is
> as a cross-referenced information system.

The problem with this proposal is that first it bangs on the W3C, which in
my opinion is not correct. This list is proof that the W3C wishes to discuss
developments with designers. Secondly the author totally forgets about HTML
as a information markup language and wants one form of presentation on all
platforms, an impossibility at least. And third his idea of open standards
(Java is not an open standard?!?) is weird.

What we need is the proposals made by the W3C to get accepted by browser
vendors. HTML 3.2 + CSS1 and some sort of solid proposal for frames will
leave everyone happy for generations, I think.

--
  Stephanos Piperoglou aka Sneakabout - http://users.hol.gr/~spip/index.html
  All I need in my life is a little love and a lot of money. In that order.

                                               ...oof porothika! (tm)