Re: A simple question

Michael G. Xenakis (mxenakis@pscwa.psca.com)
Tue, 30 Dec 1997 10:52:18 -0800

From: "Michael G. Xenakis" <mxenakis@pscwa.psca.com>
To: "'Blushirt9@aol.com'" <Blushirt9@aol.com>,
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 10:52:18 -0800
Subject: RE: A simple question

Interesting naming scheme you cats have over there at aol.  Its been a =
while since I've had to give a definition, but here's the gist of it.

Tylenol, Advil, Alleve, Bayer Aspirin, etc., etc.  Just a bunch of pain =
killers, right? Well for many people, yes they are.  When you have a =
headache and you're not carrying your own remedy, you'll pretty much =
accept whatever someone else has to offer whether its generic or name =
brand.  So when companies realize they're in a market where the product =
they bring to market is rather generic in terms of its competition, they =
try to tweak its image.  They try to give a means for you, the consumer, =
to 'differentiate' between its product and all the others.

I was a double major in Econ and Comp Sci.  For the last 2 1/2 years =
I've been working w/ computers, so my Econ may be a little rusty.  You =
may want to consult a good book on the Economics of Industry for a more =
formal definition.

Good luck on your report
mx.

Michael G. Xenakis		PLATINUM technology, inc.
mxenakis@psca.com		www.platinum.com
voice: 800.526.9096 x3007	page: 800.555.7017

"There is only one thing of which you can be certain, the sun will rise =
in the
East and set in the West.  Should you find that's not the case, then I'd =
advise
you face the other direction!"