RE: Simple graphics capabilities are needed

On 30 Dec 97, Venkat <Venkatp@integratech.soft.net> wrote:

> [..]
> Regarding text-based terminals, I think -  advances in any
> specifications never stopped due the non-support from old systems. For
> example, Frames are still not supported by some browser versions, but we
> can't throw the feature altogether.

Frames when used properly can be handled by non-frames supporting
browsers. And some text-based browsers like Lynx recognize the existence
of Frames and allow users to view them, although in an awkward manner.

Drawing simple graphics is another matter. How do non-visual browsers
handle this? How to agents with graphics disabled handle this?

> [..]
> Server-side-script (CGI or ASP) can do something only if the HTML or
> CSS2 specification (and finally the browser) supports the feature.

Not so. The image can be created as a GIF on the fly by a script. CGI
only deals with serving "documents", be they HTML, GIF, or otherwise.

Rob

-----
"The word to 'kill' ain't dirty    | Robert Rothenburg wlkngowl@unix.asb.com
 I used it in the last line        | http://www.asb.com/usr/wlkngowl
 but use the short word for lovin' | http://www.wusb.org/mutant
 and Dad you wind up doin' time."  | PGP'd mail welcome (ID 0x5D3F2E99)