Mangled CSS

On 29 Aug 97, David Perrell wrote:

> IE3.02 Win displays the Businessweek page just fine. It looks as though
> IE3 Mac assumes that a line-height of 1.1 means "1.1 pixels". N4

My copy of IE3.02 for Win95 seemed to treat whatever value (even as
"ex", as in "3ex") as pixels too.  IE4pr2 seems to handle it
correctly, though.

> Assuming pixels for unsupported measurement units may be IE3's most
> serious failing, as Walter's bitmap sample shows. In hindsight, it
> would have been better for authors if browsers had not supported
> external stylesheets until their CSS1 rendering was at least accurate
> if not complete. As things are now, scripting is required if you really
> want multi-browser CSS1 compatibility, since both IE3 and N4 can render
> valid CSS1 as a completely illegible document.

At this point I test pages on the browsers to see that they are
legible and reasonably-good-looking on both major ones. My only
complaint now is that IE4 has been messing up borders. Or maybe NN 4
handles them imporppoerly? ...

If I do the following:

  #bordered {
    border-top-width: thin;
    border-bottom-width: thin;
    border-style: double;
  }

Netscape Navigator will only show top and bottom borders and render
them as double lines.  MSIE 3 doesn't show them (which is tolerable)
and MSIE 4pp2 renders borders on all four sides, and renders
mangled-looking lines to boot.

Rob
---
Robert Rothenburg Walking-Owl (wlkngowl@unix.asb.com)